Anyone worried about Machado's bat?

Mashed Potatoes

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to admit, I have very little confidence when he steps up to the plate. I mean, he's young, and inexperienced, so he's going to have to take his lumps. I'm very happy to have a decent fielder at 3B, though. If the offense can heat up, we might be able to hide his bat.

No reason to be worried about Machado's bat. Even if he doesn't hit that well the rest of the year, it doesn't matter because he's so young. Even Mike Trout didn't look that great his first season in the majors.

It's Wieters' bat I'm worried about.

He will be fine. I actually thought he had some good swings tonight for the first time in the last few games. I was encouraged on the sac fly, not trying to do too much, just doing what was needed. He is adjusting to a much higher level of pitching than he has seen before and I think he is coming around.

I have to admit, I have very little confidence when he steps up to the plate. I mean, he's young, and inexperienced, so he's going to have to take his lumps. I'm very happy to have a decent fielder at 3B, though. If the offense can heat up, we might be able to hide his bat.

Yeah, this is more or less where I'm at. Some of his swings are pretty weak, and sometimes it doesn't really seem like he's swinging with much authority and/or confidence. But he's absolutely a natural there at 3B, and his arm is fantastic. I get the opposite feeling when I see a ball go to him at 3B.

In response to the OP: yes, I'm worried. Still was probably a good move to bring him up, which has paid off, but his bat could start to become a liability in Sept.

Not really worried, he is too young to be hitting at this level, right? But, his defense is solid. He looks very confident and makes the plays he needs to make...the same plays which were costing us unnecessary runs...if not games earlier in the year. I hope he stays as the primary 3B for the rest of the year...if he hits anywhere close to a .700ish OPS when it is all done...that will just be a bonus.

Having him and Andino back to back is troublesome. Asking for offense from a 19 yr old is asking too much but I don't like having two weak bats in a row. I expected Manny to struggle but despite the last two nights, our lineup against lefties is pretty weak imo.

Started off on fire his first 5 games, but...

Last 11 games: .583 OPS

Last 4 games: 400 OPS

We just happy to have a decent fielder at the corner?

He has had good AB's. He does not look overmatched at all. This is normal rookie stuff. Not worried in the slightest. And yes, the most important thing is having good defense at third. I always figured he'd play SS, but I guess he's preferable at third over Hardy, who is a plain-old superb fielding shortstop. He looks good at third anyway.

Archived